Thursday, February 12, 2015

2015, the Year That Forgot What Year it Is

May I have your attention please...This post is really weird and was written mostly by my sleep deprived brain this week. If it reads like an anime fan fiction, please be advised that I am under no obligation to make sense to you.


Wait… Zoom in on the date on that cheesy looking fake front page paper!
2015? February!?

I’ll let ya’ll in on a secret… I’m from Chicago and a White Sox fan… but I’m secretly/not secretly rooting for the Cubs to win the World Series this year (if you don’t understand this joke then you’re not my friend anymore...)
What the fuck is she talking about!?
Ok ok ok, back to reality. Whoop, there goes gravity.
Shut up, Sarah. Keep yourself together.
Yea okee, that was fun. Now that I have your attention. May I have your attention please! Will the real Nutty Brewnette please stand up!

Seriously, will the real Sarah Brewnette please shut up!

No!

Ok wow… So where was I going before my mind so cleverly escaped me there. Oh yea… 2015… gas is cheap, Missy Elliot, Back to Future jokes, weird weather… yada yada yada. 2015 has just barely begun and has already earned the nickname “The Year that Forgot What Year it is”.

Let’s forget for a second (but not forget at all) that our excessive use and dependence on electronics, burnt petroleum, and aerosols are eating a hole in our ozone layer and melting our icebergs, raising our sea levels, and ultimately leading to June weather in February.

Let’s <not> forget all of that and pretend that my Phenomenon of Misplaced Time is real.
Please just let go for a bit and bear with me on this fantasy. Welcome to my mind, where I make bad things cool by making them into weird stories. My creative inspiration is driven purely by frustration.
If my 2015 Theory of Misplaced Time was actually true, this type of phenomenon could potentially yield terrifying results. On the other hand, this misplaced chain of events is awesome!

It seems like pieces of history are being pulled forward to create the perfect year! But what does it all mean?
I’ve been hearing a lot of complaining lately about our gadgets are too distracting and intrusive. I know I struggle between being addicted to my phone and computer and wanting to run away from them.
I’ve also noticed (and maybe it’s only because I live in Colorado) that the general public seems to be more excited than ever about being outdoors and away from the TV, making things from scratch, crafting, cooking, creating, and homesteading.

Yes, Homesteading? In case no one’s noticed, we’ve relearned the art of coming together and enjoying each other’s company while creating things that are actually useful in our homes.

Baking, cooking, knitting, sewing, crafting, canning, woodworking, refurbishing, gardening, etc…

The rebirth of homesteading could be a direct result of the poor economy. It’s only natural that we learned to make the best of a bad situation by saving money in the form of recreation and comradery. It’s the human way.
However, now that the economy is back on the rise, our re-found love of homesteading seems to remain as “the cool thing to do”. What does it all mean?

To add yet another layer to my Theory of Misplaced Time, it’s become common knowledge by now that there is TOO MUCH CRAP in our food. Too much crap we don’t need and too much crap that is doing us more harm than good. We are pushing for less. Less food, less chemicals, fewer ingredients, less processing, less sugar, less caffeine, less less less! We want our food (even our packaged food as pictured below) to be simpler.



The future of a society can be seen through the food we eat, so what does it mean that we now want less?
It seems as if less really is more nowadays. 

Less! 



Less!


Less!


Does this mean we are becoming more simple minded? No. Quite the contrary actually. 
We want less because we realize we need less. The bad economy did us a solid by helping us to start to realize this, and it’s the best thing that could have happened to this country to this world.

Volunteering is trendy. Philanthropy is sexy. Chivalry has risen. Primal desire is accepted and encouraged. We seek out and prefer destinations where our phones have no reception.

We are terrified for a future where our lives become digitized, yet we’re sort-of pumped for a Zombie Apocalypse?

What does it mean when horror movies become the thing we desire? And... visa versa.

I don't even know what this is, but it looks like glass igloos. I'd choose that over a 5 Star Hotel
in a second. Would you?


Are we moving backwards? Or has the Industrial Revolution just run its course?


Are we pushing for an Emotional Revolution?



No comments:

Post a Comment