Thursday, February 26, 2015

Cathartic Snowstorms; a somewhat relatable journey in chaotic meter

I like to pretend I'm a gifted poet... (or maybe I'm just being bigheaded again...)

For the following poem, however, I chose to use an inconsistent meter and mismatched rhyme scheme to help illustrate the chaotic nature of the story within.

"The most important rule in writing is to break every rule"
-I think I made up this quote but I'm pretty sure it's been said a fajillion times before...



Cathartic Snowstorms
a somewhat relatable journey in chaotic meter


It was awhile ago that a pile of crap
Made it into my life and consumed me.
I had no choice but to sort it out,
Even though all the odds seemed against me.

Someone who had been close to me
Had created the pile of crap.
And even though that person was gone
Underneath it was where I was trapped.


It sucked. It hurt. It felt like hell.
I convinced myself not to dwell
The trouble I found was not my own doing.
And therefore I thought it would fix itself.

I soon found out that wasn’t the case.
The trouble that found me was my own to face.
It was growing and molding and out of control,
Manifesting itself all over the place.

I was angry, and sad, and out of control.
My efforts were falling into a black hole.
I lost the will to want to try.
The desire to move forward escaped my soul.

And then the other stuff came out,
The bad stuff I told myself to forget.
It all came out as a scream and a shout,
And no one wanted to listen.

And so I let myself fall too.
Into the black hole went my soul of my shoe,
And the soul of my heart and the soul of my mind,
My desire to care went down there too.

Then one day I thought to myself,
I really don’t like this pile of crap.
I wanted it gone, no matter the cost.
It wouldn’t be easy, but I couldn’t stay trapped.

And so on and so on,
I hit the ground running.
I tackled the mess,
Until it almost seemed funny

And then just a few days ago,
At the Bottom of the 9th
I finished the game,
and I fixed my life.

Did I win? Did I gain?
Did I hit a home run?
Not at all, I just fixed it
Well wasn’t that fun…

I never wanted revenge,
Or to take anyone down.
I just wanted me again,
*And that’s what I’ve found*



Are you in a pickle? Do you feel stuck? Does everything around you just plain suck? 
Has your world become a terrible episode of Looney Tunes? Roger Rabbit? Batman? Daria? Do you feel like no one understands you in this Sick Sad World?




Click here for some musical encouragement by Jimmy Eat World. 
This song has helped to lift my spirits during some pretty trying times. 

It just takes some time. 

Everything will be just fine.
Don't write yourself off yet.
Do your best. Do everything you can.
Don't you worry what their bitter hearts are gonna say.
Live right now. Just be yourself.
It just takes some time. Everything will be just fine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment