Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Sisterhood of the TARDIS




...and I am hopelessly addicted to SciFi.
I know a lot of people can relate.

Although one of the great things I think a lot of people don't catch about good SciFi is that the character analysis is often just as good as the special effects.
I used to have a hard time with SciFi. My sister Bex was really into it when we were kids but I just wasn't into the whole wibbly-wobbly spacey-wasey timey-wimey... stuff...
I liked stories that focused on character growth, interpersonal friendships, and comedic timing. My sister liked [likes] Space.
So we'd watch my shows... and she'd complain.
And we'd watch her movies... and I'd complain.
But what we ended up finding out was that we'd often bond over the most unexpected of entertainment.

[insert really cliche SciFi sequence]
Sarah, why aren't you watching this battle scene?
It's boring. It's just... spaceships.
There's people in them. They might die!
I think they'll be ok. At least all the main characters will.
How do you know!?
Because they're all in the next movie.
Well that's no fun! You have to watch this epicness with me!
I am.
You don't even care...
Nope.. Oh my God! Holy shit! How did they just blow that whole thing up?
Thermal exhaust port. They shot fire balls into it!
What?? How? That's not even possible. You can't even shoot something at that angle.
Haha! They did it though.
Who died?
All the bad guys.
All of them?
No...
Who's still there?
You gotta watch.
So wait... that whole thing is just gone?
Yup.
Whoa! They did it! Yay! Rewind it like 5 minutes back. I gotta see how they did that.


So when I moved 1000 miles away from my sister, watching SciFi reminded me of home. We still shoot the shit about SciFi over the phone.
My focus has pretty much remained on the character development and analysis. My sister's focus has remained on the Wibbly-Wobbly Spacey Wasey...stuff.


Hey Bex...Rory is The Master
What?????
Ya... he got pissed because Amy is a bitch and can't have kids so he went back and became The Master.
Amy did have a kid.
Yea... then they made her sterile at Devil's Run.
Oh... I missed that part of it... Didn't Rory die?
Rory doesn't die.
What???
I dunno the science behind it. I think since he was plastic when he was The Last Centurion and then since he spawned a Timelord he somehow was able to become one.
Hmm... I wonder if that's even possible. 
 It's not possible. It's fiction, Bex.
Oh yea. Hahahaha! You know what I mean. The Master looks like him though!
Cuz they're the same person.
Same alien.
I don't know if Rory is an alien since he was born a human.
Ohhh... that's really weird. Did you know that Gallifrey is actually a real star...like in real life?
What????


Bex has the Science part.
I've got the fiction part.
Both are important.
Both are awesome.
Both are essential for Science Fiction.

Let's fly this piece of crap!

No comments:

Post a Comment